How to Make a New Home Your Own In A Matter Of Days!
When you buy a new build it can feel like a mere empty box with no soul. To change a new house into a home doesn’t require a huge budget, just a little time, imagination and love.
With a little bit of creative thought, organisation and lots of care and attention, your new house will soon feel like home sweet home.
- Day one; before we even think about finishing touches and decorating, you need to unpack. Start in the hub of the house the kitchen. Being able to have a snack and refreshments will help keep everyone going during the moving in day. Being able to feed the family and use your own dishware will immediately give you a feeling of familiarity and being at home.
- Once you have unpacked and things have found a place in the new home, you should feel more at home. Having the family photos, pictures and personal possessions around you, soon softens and fills a room making it feel yours.
- So now things are in place within the home, you will be ready to start exploring the local neighbourhood. This is really important if you have moved into a new area. Check out the local independent trades as well as the bigger branded shops.
- Make yourself familiar with what’s going on in the local area, if you belonged to a gym or book group where you used to live look to join these in your new town. If you have children find out what groups and activities are available for them to join, this is a great way for them to meet their peers and make new friends. This is also a great time to try something new!
- Making friends and getting to know your neighbours is another great way for you to start feeling settled and at home. Invite old and new friends into your home for a supper party or a spot of lunch.
- Do what you always used to do at your old house, so if you are a book worm then make sure you take the time to curl up with your book in your study, new conservatory or family room. Same goes for garden lovers if this is where you are most happy then pull on them wellies and get to work on that empty green area crying out for some TLC.
- After you have lived in your new space for a good few months, it may be the time to think about decorating. It’s important to live in a space for a period of time to get the feel of the rooms and how the natural light affects the room. New builds are usually decorated in cream giving you a light and clean base to work from and are easy to live with till you want to start adding colours and texture.
A new home is an exciting new beginning and with lots of love and care it will soon feel more like a home than a new house. Enjoy your new space and start making lots of happy memories!