How to Decide on Selecting the Best Garage Door Opener Based on Feature and Price
Written by Kristy Jones a DIY fan and enthusiast. She loves implementing life hacking topics especially about home improvements. She loves to declutter the home and would love to volunteer to help others live a clutter-free life. As the lead content curator for A Click Away Remotes, Kristy also contributes on writing other informative articles about basic architecture and house renovation.
The garage door opener is one of the modern conveniences that make life easier for every person. There’s no need to manually lift your garage door just to get inside your home. With a simple push of a button, you can directly drive inside your garage.
The two major factors in purchasing a garage door opener are features and price. Here’s how you should decide based on these two factors:
Why and How Features Matter
Today’s line of garage door openers already showcase hefty features that match the kind of technology-based lifestyle that many people are already leading. Features are often the main reason why someone purchases a garage door opener. An opener that is packed with nifty features seems like a winner in many places.
Here are the features that will matter in selecting the best garage door opener:
• Security. Of course, you want to secure your garage from any theft. These two are the major features that should be up on your list. You wouldn’t want a garage door that can be opened by anyone else. A rolling code system secures this entryway with a different code to prevent intrusion. A manual locking system can also prevent anyone from attempting to open your garage door.
• Safety. This is another aspect that you should consider. Many garage door openers already feature motion detectors that rapidly detect an object or someone on its path. Since the garage door is the heaviest part of your home, you would not want any accident from happening. If your opener has safety features, you are assured that it will stop the closing process if there’s a blockage and will reverse back if the door makes contact with an object.
• Battery backup system. Being locked out from your home can be a nightmare especially when you are faced with a power outage. Having a backup battery in place ensures that you can still access your garage even when there’s no power in your neighbourhood. This is a convenient feature that you may want to use in times of emergencies.
• Smartphone connectivity. Smartphone connectivity is a modern feature that allows you to control your garage door opener through your smartphone. As long as your opener is connected to the internet, you can easily operate your garage door opener even when you’re away from home. This is useful for times when you need to let someone into your home even when you’re not around. This also lets you control the lights and other switches so you don’t come home to a dark garage.
• Warranty. A garage door opener with good warranties gives you the peace of mind that you need when making this big purchase. Some openers offer a lifetime warranty on their motors and belt or chain. The warranty for parts usually runs around one to five years depending on the brand. It’s good to have a longer warranty to be sure you got yourself covered in case something happens.
Buying a garage door opener is an investment for a homeowner. This is a big purchase and it is essential to get value for the money that you spent. Your garage door opener will also last you for years and will also affect the value of your home. You need to think it over and maybe sleep on it before you make the big leap. Thus, making a wise investment is a must.
In selecting a garage door opener, identify the models that have the features that you need. Compare the price points of these models and choose one that you think is reasonably priced for its features and warranty. Go for a trusted brand, as well.
Another thing that you can do is to ask around for garage door opener recommendations that your friends or family own. Ask what they like or don’t like about their garage door opener and how it has served them over the years. Most likely, their garage door opener is within your budget. Check their price points and compare their features.
It is not really essential to choose a cheaper-priced garage door opener for your home. Often, you need to make a big chunk of investment for something that you want to last you for years. However, ensure that you’re working within your budget and that you can recover your costs with the peace of mind and value that your garage door opener brings.